Sunday, July 18, 2010

3 Little Pigs



"Little pig, little pig, let me come in!"

"Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin!"

"Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in"

Sound familiar?? Yes it is the all time children favorite script in the fairy tale, Three Little Pigs. One of my students once told me that there is an original version of this story saying that the wolf was actually the ‘good’ guy. Sound interesting?? Yes, curiosities kill a cat, so I was excited and logged into Wikipedia to see if I can dig out something to share.

The truth is that what my student mentioned is a parody of the story. The story named The True Story of the Three Little Pigs was written by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith. The first release was in 1989. Interestingly, this story is another new perspective narrated by the Big Bad Wolf, whose name was "A. Wolf," short for "Alexander T. Wolf."

The book so called turns the story around, showing that the Wolf does not naturally have to be the “Big and Bad” guy. The Wolf makes his journey to look for the little pigs to ask for some sugar, so that he can bake a cake for his dear Granny’s birthday. But why is he “huffing and puffing” out there?? Basically because he is having a cold! Unfortunately, the little pigs die due to the wolf’s great sneeze... It is not good to waste any food right, so the wolf does not want to waste the good meat and he eats them all up. Afterall the pigs die already. Now who is the one telling the whole story?? HAHAHAHA.....it is the Wolf in the prison, telling the reader that “he’s been framed.”

Which versions of The Three Little Pigs do you like the best?

1 comment:

  1. I like the happy ending one much better :)
    Thanks again for the featured.

    ReplyDelete